Anyone who knows me knows that I’ve been a Hanson fan since the ripe old age of 11. From “Mmmbop” to “If Only” to “Great Divide,” I’ve remained a fan. A few weeks ago, the group did a set of concerts titled “5 of 5” which they streamed live online. The final night was a preview of their upcoming album, “Shout it Out.” Because of the whole time difference thing, I wasn’t able to watch it live, but a few lovely people posted each song up on youtube and I still got to watch the whole thing on my own time. And I tried my hardest to like the new songs. Ask N! I groaned and complained and kept talking about how much I wanted to like their music.
And then came the video for “Thinking Bout Something” (see below). It was cute. It was bubblegummy. It was… well… not what I expected. I do admit though, I like the Blues Brothers parody–that is one of my favorite films after all!
But I didn’t like the song. At all. Not an iota. Nuh uh. And I started thinking… “Good gosh, is this the end of my love for a band that has been the soundtrack for pretty much every major event in my life?”
The answer? Yes and no.
Hanson is streaming the full album on various sites (myspace, billboard, etc) and I’ve now listened to the album a few times through. And it has grown on me–like mould on bread… slow and creepingly, imperceptive. And while I’m not in love with the album, I can listen to it all the way through without changing songs–which is rare. I do like the album. I do. And that’s not me trying to convince myself as such.
The album is released in the USA on June 8. There isn’t a listed release date for the UK (or elsewhere) so I’ll be buying the album when I go home next month. Until then, I’ll content myself with a downloaded copy. You can listen to the full album here: http://www.billboard.com/features/watch-hanson-shout-it-out-hear-the-full-1004094689.story?tag=hpflash2#/features/watch-hanson-shout-it-out-hear-the-full-1004094689.story?tag=hpflash2
Without further ado, a song by song review.
Album: Shout it Out
1. Waiting for this – 7 out of 10 – Not a bad opening song.
2. Thinkin’ Bout Somethin’ – 8 out of 10 – No longer hate this song. Gets stuck in your head very easily, but I still don’t love it.
3. Kiss Me When You Come Home – 8 out of 10 – Cute and irrelevant. But cute.
4. Carry You There – 9 out of 10 – Really like this song.
5. Give A Little – 9 out of 10 – Another cute one. A bit sexy in a playful we’re-not-trying-to-offend-or-shock kind of way… “give a little oh ah oh…”
6. Make it out Alive – 10 out of 10 – I’m a sucker for horns.
7. And I Waited – 5 out of 10 – Meh.
8. Use Me Up – 7 out of 10 – Not bad. A bit depressing.
9. These Walls – 10 out of 10 – Favorite song on the album. Love love love it.
10. Musical Ride – 7 out of 10 – Not bad. Not great. But definitely listenable.
11. Voice in the Chorus – 10 out 10 – No idea why I like this song so much, but it’s very enjoyable!
12. Me, Myself and I – 9 out of 10 – Great ballad.
Overall rating – 7.5 or 8 out of 10.
Here’s hoping the album continues to grow on me!