Books Read: 6
- Vanishing Acts – Jodi Picoult (Bath Book!)
- The Mango Season – Amulya Malladi
- Assholes Finish First – Tucker Max
- The Postman Always Rings Twice – James M. Cain
- South of the Border, West of the Sun – Haruki Murakami
- The Cement Garden – Ian McEwan
Books Abandoned: 1
- Blink – Malcolm Gladwell (I’m going to come back to this one–I just needed some fiction in my life this month!)
Books in Progress: 2
- Museum of Innocence – Orhan Pamuk
- Brixton Beach – Roma Tearne
Best Book – Tied between “South of the Border, West of the Sun” and “The Cement Garden”. Both were very different to one another but written with equal emotion and precision. I’m a huge Murakami fan even though this is only the third book I’ve read by him, so I always know to expect a great read when starting one of his works. With McEwan, I’ve had a love/hate relationship. I couldn’t get into “Amsterdam” and it took me ages to get more than 50 pages into “Atonement” though once I started reading it I couldn’t stop. “The Cement Garden” was a lot shorter and a lot more… shall we say… grisly than “Atonement”. It was trashy, juicy and sometimes hard to swallow, but it was definitely worth reading.
Worst Book – Not really any of them, but if I had to pick one, I guess I’d pick “The Mango Season”. It was a bit light and fluffy, and to be honest, everything just seemed to work out so perfectly for the main character. There should have been a little bow tied around everything–it was just that kind of book. To be fair I was looking for brain candy and that’s exactly what I got.