Completed Books: 6
- The Art of Racing in the Rain – Garth Stein
- The Seas: A Novel – Samantha Hunt (Orange Prize Longlist)
- Repeat it Today with Tears – Anne Peile (Bath Read) (Orange Prize Longlist)
- Hey Nostradamus! – Douglas Coupland
- Swamplandia! – Karen Russell (Orange Prize Longlist)
- Sing You Home – Jodi Picoult
Abandoned Books: 0
Books in Progress: 2
- Lullabies for Little Criminals – Heather O’Neill (Bath Read)
- Life in the UK: A Journey to Citizenship (don’t get excited; I have to read/study this for a test at the end of the month that I have to take and pass in order to get my new visa)
- The Crimson Petal and the White – Michael Faber
Well, right now that would be “The Crimson Petal and the White,” but I guess I should choose something I’ve finished, so I’ll say “Hey Nostradamus!”. I’ve tried to read some of Coupland’s stuff before (“Girlfriend in a Coma”) and just couldn’t get into it. I did really like “Hey Nostradamus!” though–even though the time shifts and different points of view were a bit odd. The actual plot-line was sincere and fantastic.
Either “The Seas” or “Swamplandia!”. I just didn’t get “The Seas” and what was supposed to have been going on there. I mean, was she crazy? Was she really a mermaid? Was the whole thing just some psychotic rambling (I think yes)? And “Swamplandia!”. Oh, you had such promise, and I think the reason why you were one of the worst books was because I had such high expectations of you. I will admit, the last 75 pages or so redeemed the book enough for me to keep reading, but it really wasn’t as good as it could, and should, have been.