In honor of my birthday bonanza weekend and turing a quarter of a century old, I thought it might be fun to share 25 things with you about the number 25 and my birthday date, September 25. Here we go!
- 25 is the sum of the first 5 odd numbers = 1 + 3 + 5 + 7 + 9 = 25
- The number of years of marriage marked in a silver wedding anniversary
- The minimum age for election to the House of Representatives in the USA
- The world’s largest (found) snake is 25 feet long
- It’s the 25th anniversary year for the musical Les Miserables
- Da Bears! (Chicago Bears) won the Superbowl 25 years ago.
- T.I. (rapper), Will Smith (actor) and Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker!) all share my birthday
- More importantly, I share my Granddad’s birthday; we’re exactly 50 years apart (and I’m pretty sure I was one heck of an awesome birthday gift!)
- It’s Armed Forces Day or Revolution Day in Mozambique.
- The Little Rock Nine, with the help of the armed forces, attended their first day of school at Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas (found a news report on the BBC here)
- In 1493 Columbus set out from Spain on his second voyage to the west with 17 ships.
- In 1981 Sandra Day O’Connor was sworn in as the first female justice on the U.S. Supreme Court.
- In 1789 the first United States Congress adopted 12 amendments to the Constitution and sent them to the states for ratification. (Ten of the amendments became the Bill of Rights.)
- In 1956 the first trans-Atlantic telephone cable went into service.
- Barbara (Baw-bwah) Walters will be 81 this year on September 25th.
- If you were born on September 25th, your star sign would be Libra.
- “But however close we sometimes seem to that dark and final abyss, let no man of peace and freedom despair. For he does not stand alone. If we all can persevere, if we can in every land and office, look beyond our own shores and ambitions, then surely the age will dawn in which the strong are just, and the weak secure, and the peace preserved.” – JFK in a speech to the UN General Assembly given on 25th September 1961.
- September 25 is the 268th day of the year (or 269th if it’s a leap year!)
- There’s only 97 days between September 25th and the end of the year! (YIKES!)
- Only 131,040 minutes between 25th September and Christmas! (Or 91 days/3 months)
- Author William Faulkner was born in 1897.
- In 1992 NASA launched it’s first probe to Mars in 17 years on the 25th of September; the probe would later fail.
- In 1911, ground was broken for Fenway Park in Boston.
- 1513: Vasco Nunez de Balboa reaches what would later be called the Pacific Ocean.
- September 25, 1986… possibly the most important day of all…. I was born!
Enjoy your weekend ya’ll! You’ll be a getting a full update from me tomorrow.
If you’re interested in getting in touch, tweet me at @stephanie_khani or @londondiaries1. Alternatively you can email me at emailthelondondiaries [at] gmail.com.