Hold your hats ladies and gents, don’t faint, sit down, take a deep breath…. ready? I’ve started a gym routine! No joke! The Queen of wine, chocolate and food-lovin’ has succumbed to the fattiness of her tummy and decided it’s time for a change. I’ve signed up to the YMCA in Wimbledon this past weekend and I have to say I’m absolutely loving it. My trainer is brilliant, it’s not really crowded, and it’s in a good location for me. The best part? It’s only £40 a month and it’s a rolling contract! I don’t have to sign up for a year or whatever—I just need to give a month’s notice when I want to stop my membership.
I’ve only been twice (tonight will be the third visit) but already I feel the difference in my mood alone. I feel better—I feel a lot less stressed and tense, less cynical, less moody. I feel fairly calm and just generally in a more agreeable mood. I’ve also been a lot more mindful of what I’m putting into my body with calories and carbs and such. I’ve been using the website FitDay to keep track of my weight, caloric intake and measurements.
I’m looking forward to working out as well! But then again, it helps if you have a killer playlist like mine:
1. Maneater – Nelly Furtado
2. Chelsea Dagger – The Fratellis
3. Rockstar 101 – Rhianna
4. Stronger – Kanye West
5. Whatever You Like (remix) – Trey Songz
6. So What – P!nk
7. The Girls – Calvin Harris
8. Paper Planes Freestyle – Trey Songz
9. Tonight (I’m Loving You) (featuring Ludacris) – Enrique Iglesias
10. White Knuckles – OK Go
11. Sexy and I Know It – LMFAO
12. Take Your Mama Out – Scissor Sisters
13. Getting Over You (featuring Fergie and LMFAO) – David Guetta
14. Let it Rock – Lil’ Wayne
15. I’m in Miami (B****) – LMFAO
16. Creeps Me Out – Ima Robot
17. Dirt Off Your Shoulder – Jay-Z
18. Otis (featuring Otis Redding) – Jay-Z and Kanye West
19. Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger – Daft Punk
20. Alive – Ima Robot
21. Government H**ker – Lady Gaga
22. Roman’s Revenge (featuring Eminem) – Nicki Minaj
23. Where Them Girls At (featuring Flo Rida and Nicki Minaj) – David Guetta
24. You’re So Damn Hot – OK Go
25. Americano – Lady Gaga
26. Circus – Britney Spears
27. Gives You Hell – All American Rejects
28. Moves Like Jagger (featuring Christina Aguilera) – Maroon 5
29. 6 Foot 7 Foot – Lil’ Wayne
30. Try it Again – The Hives
31. Sexyback – Justin Timberlake
32. Give it to Me (featuring Nelly Furtado and Justin Timberlake) – Timbaland
33. Number One Spot – Ludacris
34. Money Maker (featuring Pharell) – Ludacris
So that’s what I’m shaking my (currently, soon to be formerly) large booty to in the gym.
And speaking of large, I suppose that for posterity’s sake, I should note down my weight and measurements here. It’s all a bit embarrassing and sad, how big I’ve gotten, but seeing the actual numbers makes it even worse. But it’s like my trainer said—I’m doing something about it and this is the biggest I’ll ever get. Six months down the line I’ll look at what my weight and measurements were and realize how far I’ve come. So without any further rambling:
Weight: 83 kilograms (approximately 183lbs)
BMI (Body Mass Index): 43.7% (healthy range is 18 to 25%)
Bust: 40.5 inches
Upper arms: 15.5 inches
Tummy: 37 inches
Hips: 44 inches
Upper thigh: 25.5 inches
My target weight is around 68 kilos (or 150 lbs) which is what I weighed my second year in college, right before things started to go downhill weight wise.
So what am I doing in the gym?
For the first month/month and a half (as I’m going home, after all!) it’s all pure cardio. We’re talking treadmill and cross trainer mainly, with a bit of stair stepping thrown in the mix occasionally. I’m also planning on taking a class or two starting next week—potentially a beginner’s spin class, yoga, body balance, and (MAYBE) Zumba. I won’t do them all in one week, just one or two sprinkled throughout the week.
Needless to say, I’m really excited. Even now I can’t stop clockwatching—I’m just itching to get in the gym and get going. I hope my enthusiasm level stays up top where it is now, though I’m sure there will be weeks where it drops and I have to force myself to get into the gym. But that’s not today. Today is good, and today I will kick some booty (my own) and sweat out the bad stuff.