Books Read: 3
- Londoners: The Days and Nights of London Now—As Told by Those Who Love it, Live it, Left it and Long for it – Craig Taylor
- The Woman in Black – Susan Hill
- The Dogs of Babel – Carolyn Parkhurst
Books Abandoned: 1
- A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius – Dave Eggars
Books in Progress: 1
- A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) – George R.R. Martin
Best Book: The Dogs of Babel – Carolyn Parkhurst
Easily a contender for one of my most favourite books of all time. A man’s wife dies after falling (or jumping) from a tree in their backyard. The only witness was their dog, Lorelei. Paul, a linguist, decides that he’s going to teach Lorelei to speak so that he can find out the truth about his wife’s death. Interspersed with memories from their relationship, this book is at turns heartbreaking, hilarious and pitiful. Above all, it was beautiful. I’d recommend it to… well… anyone.
I won’t count A Storm of Swords as the best book yet as I still have to finish it… but I know what April’s Best Book will be for sure!
Worst Book: A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius – Dave Eggers
I really, REALLY tried to like (and even get through) A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, but I just could not get into the book. It started off quirky enough but eventually I found myself bored to tears with it.