… when you wake up to realise that your 10 year high school reunion is merely a year away. Holy ever freaking lord have mercy. Next year I’ll have left NBHS 10 years ago. That’s just beyond all mind buggery. Honestly. I can’t even cope with this…
So I’m now a part of this group on FB for the reunion next year (that’s how I found out this morning, by the way). It was weird looking through all the members earlier today… there are people I don’t really remember or remember well. Surnames have changed for those who have gotten married… it’s just all really, really bizarre.
Christ. I feel so old.
So will I go to the reunion next year?
Maybe. It would probably be hilariously awkward as my group of friends since high school is pretty much the same as it was during those four years. I imagine it’s the same for a lot of my former classmates… though there are a few people I haven’t seen since graduation that I’ve definitely grown closer to over the last few years. It’ll definitely be nice to see them. As ever, though, the fact that I’m 4000+ miles away from KY these days does make things a bit difficult. So if I can swing the funds for the flight and pair it up with my usual trip home, sure, why the hell not?
Let’s just hope there’s booze to drown out the depressing fact we’ve all gotten so old.
You want proof?
OK, I gotcha. How about the top ten from May 2004?
1 Hoobastank – The Reason
2 Usher – Yeah f/Ludacris & Lil’ Jon
3 Maroon 5 – This Love
4 Beyonce – Naughty Girl
5 Mario Winans – I Don’t Wanna Know f/Enya & P. Diddy
6 d12 – My Band
7 Usher – Burn
8 Jessica Simpson – Take My Breath Away
9 J-Kwon – Tipsy
10 Evanescence – My Immortal
I don’t even remember half of those songs. Seriously. I had to youtube them.
Well.. in 2004:
- Martha Stewart was sentenced to 5 years in prison.
- Shrek 2 was dominating the box office. Yep.
- Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie. The Simple Life. Need I say more?
- The Passion of the Christ and Fahrenheit 911 also came out in 2004.
- Federer beat Roddick in the men’s finals at Wimbledon. Sharapova beat Serena Williams.
- The Patriots won the Super Bowl.
- Smarty Jones won the Kentucky Derby.
- Ray Charles, Julia Child, Ronald Reagan, Christopher Reeve and Yasir Arafat all died in 2004 (among loads of others)
Oh. My. God.
I’m only 26, I shouldn’t feel this bloody old! Though, to be fair, I’ve done a hell of a lot myself these last 10 years.
- I was the first in my immediate family to graduate from college with a degree.
- I’ve excelled and failed miserably in loads of relationships–and finally met the love of my life in 2007 and married him in 2009.
- I’ve travelled loads and plan to see more places… I’ve been to Spain and France (multiple times) and the UK.
- I’m an aunt!!!!
- I’ve learned, through trial and error, to cook and cook well. I made Thanksgiving all on my lonesome last year.
- I wear dresses now. If you knew me in high school you know just how big of a deal that actually is.
- I also wear makeup. Also a big deal.
- Um, hello? I moved to London in 2009! England… not little London in KY.
So yeah, it’s been a relatively busy 10 years.
If any of my classmates are reading this–what’s changed for you since 2004? Non-classmates, have you had your 10 year reunion yet? How did it go?