I’m not a fan of the whole “New Year, New You” concept. I’ve always thought it was hokey, cheesy and so on. With that being said, 2016 was a craptacular year and I want to do everything I can to make 2017 better. I want it to be a year full of awesome and happiness. I’ve set out 10 things I want to do this upcoming year. Much of it is easy and basic stuff, like learning to drive (I know, I know). Some of it is scary, like taking a pole dancing class or getting a new tattoo. Some of it’s healthy, like giving up alcohol for a month. I’m aiming to blog about all of these to keep you posted–though I’m sure there’s about two of you left anyway! Even my husband and grandmother have jumped ship!
- Learn to drive (lessons start January 7th) and get my license. This has been one of my biggest fears for years. Me? In control of a metal death machine? No thanks. But being back in the USA for over a year now has made me appreciate just how important it is to be able to drive.
- Write more:
- NaNoWriMo in November or Camp NaNoWriMo in the summer.
- Get back to writing blog posts
- Give up red meat for a month—shouldn’t be too hard. I don’t eat it too often and I think it makes my stomach awful, so this is more of an experiment to see if I’m right!
- Give up all meat for a month. I’ve done it once and it was OK. Tough at times, but totally doable. I want to do it again. Sorry, Nick.
- Give up alcohol for a month. This is the tough one. But I also did this one a few years ago when I was training for a team triathlon, so there’s no reason I can’t again.
- Explore more of VA:
- Luray Caverns
- Hiking in Shenandoah
- Fridays after Five in Cville
- Camping? Maybe?
7. Spend more time doing things for myself, rather than things for work/others. I feel like I never really take the time to unwind or relax, so I’m definitely looking forward to tackling this one on an ongoing basis!
8. Cook more—rely less on fast food/oven pizzas. We have some amazing cookbooks that we don’t use as much as we should/could.
9. Take a lesson in something that scares/challenges me… the driving lessons don’t count! I’m thinking maybe silks or lyra (hoop) a la Cirque du Soleil? Or maybe pole dancing classes? Who knows?! Now just have to find the right time slot…
10. Get that tattoo I’ve been dying to get for months!
11. Read more (and do a few book reviews here and there). I read less in 2016 than I have in a very long time. I put this down to loads of factors including having virtually no commute and a highly stressful job with long hours. I want to get back to doing one of the things I love most—and I think I’ll even sprinkle in a few book reviews here and there for books I think have that extra special something.
I’m very excited about 2017 and all of the new pathways along with it. What journeys will you be taking this year?Advertisements